Monday, 14 August 2017

Alleged sex attacker 'who groped six women in the same underpass' has his case adjourned after telling the court: ‘No speak English’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4789882/Sex-attack-case-delay-accused-says-no-speak-English.html 
14 August 2017

Alleged sex attacker 'who groped six women in the same underpass' has his case adjourned after telling the court: ‘No speak English’
An alleged sex attacker accused of groping six women in the same underpass had his case adjourned after telling the court: ‘No speak English’.
Hasan Alkhabbaz, 22, allegedly committed six sexual assaults on women walking through Joe Strummer Subway in central London.
Mr Alkhabbaz grabbed genitals and slipped his hand up skirts while lurking in the underpass where The Clash’s frontman used to busk, Westminster Magistrates' Court was told.
Prosecutor Aislinn Rice said: ‘This is targeting a number of women and he’s grabbing different parts, their bottom or genitals, mostly over clothing but also with his hand under skirts.
‘The Crown say it’s very much targeting females in isolated areas.’
But Mr Alkhabbaz's case had to be adjourned because an Arabic interpreter hadn’t been booked.
When District Judge Nina Tempia asked for Fayez’s address, he replied: ‘No speak English.’
The judge explained the court would have to book an interpreter through an agency and adjourned the case until tomorrow at 2pm.
‘We have got an interpreter who has left his stuff, but we have to book it through the agency.'
She banned Mr Alkhabbaz from subways while on bail.
‘From now onwards you mustn’t use any underpass.’ 
When it became clear Mr Alkhabbaz didn’t understand the word underpass, she attempted to clarify.
‘Underpass, where you have been allegedly committing the offences in the underpass, you know what I mean.
‘You mustn’t use them, because this is what the police say, that’s where you’re committing these offences, where you are touching the women.
‘I’m saying you are not allowed to use the underpass.’
She then told a friend who had attended with him to explain his bail conditions to him in Arabic.
Mr Alkhabbaz, wearing a grey t-shirt and black jeans, nodded as his friend explained.
Alkhabbaz, of Fonthill Road, Islington, north London, was released on conditional bail until another hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court tomorrow at 2pm.
He is yet to enter pleas to six counts of sexual assault alleged to have occurred between November 14 last year and March 3 this year.

Friday, 11 August 2017

Blame game begins as Google Translate stands in for court interpreter

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/blame-game-begins-as-google-translate-stands-in-for-court-interpreter/5062426.article 
11 August 2017

Blame game begins as Google Translate stands in for court interpreter
A blame game has begun over who should provide translation services after a barrister was forced to step in and download a translation app when a defendant unable to speak English was left without an interpreter at a court hearing.
Mandarin-speaking Xiu Ping Yang had been accused by Redcar & Cleveland Council of food hygiene breaches related to a Chinese restaurant she ran in Eston, North Yorkshire.
She appeared unrepresented at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 8 August.
However, no one was on hand to communicate with her. Her case was adjourned until 25 September.
Direct access barrister Joan Smith, who was already at court working on a separate case, downloaded the Google translate app when she realised that Yang did not understand what was happening.
She told the Gazette: ‘An interpreter wasn’t present and it became clear the defendant could not speak English. She didn’t understand what the judge or prosecutors were saying to her or what was happening.
’The clerk asked if anyone had any way of communicating with her. No-one had phones on them and the council said they didn’t know of anyone who could interpret. So I downloaded the Google translate app and tried to explain what was happening. It worked eventually but it could have been a long day.’
Redcar and Cleveland Council, which brought the case, told the Gazette it was up to the court to provide an interpreter. However, according to Ministry of Justice guidance, when civil cases are brought against a defendant it is the responsibility of the prosecutor to notify the court that translation services are needed.
A spokesperson for HM Courts & Tribunals Service said: ’It is vital that victims, witnesses and defendants understand what is happening in court to guarantee justice is done. HMCTS always takes steps to ensure an interpreter is provided, where it has been brought to their attention that this is a requirement.’

Tuesday, 8 August 2017

No translator for Eston 'dirty takeaway' accused - so solicitor downloaded Google Translate app

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/no-translator-eston-dirty-takeaway-13447532 
8 August 2017

No translator for Eston 'dirty takeaway' accused - so solicitor downloaded Google Translate app
A solicitor had to download Google Translate after a woman accused of operating a dirty takeaway was left without a translator in court.
Mandarin-speaking Xiu Ping Yang is accused of multiple food hygiene breaches at the Golden Wok, in Eston High Street, which was ordered to close after inspectors found “serious risks to public health”.
But a “breakdown in communication” was blamed for no interpreter being hired for Tuesday’s Teesside Magistrates’ Court hearing.
Solicitor Joan Smith then downloaded the app in order for the bench to tell the 34-year-old her case was being adjourned.
Unrepresented Yang arrived in court clutching a plastic bag stuffed full of papers, but was told via the app that she would need to return on September 25.
And proceedings heard the case must be heard by a district judge due to Yang facing an unlimited fine if convicted.
The mum, of Eston’s Windsor Road, is yet to enter pleas to nine charges relating to findings last June. […]